The Masonic Lodge – NO. 594 was granted its charter in 1923 with Dr. E. L. Gilbert as the first Worshipful Master. The lodge room was in the upstairs of the school building.

 

School_Snow

The school had 8 grades in 4 rooms.

Teachers left to right: Mrs. Brantley 3rd and 4th, Miss Harris 1st and 2nd, Miss Giles 5th and 6th, and Mr. Hollis 7th and 8th.

 

 

The picture was provided by Rosemary Schelinski.

The office was along the right-of-way of Highway 45 that ran parallel to the Mobile & Ohio Railroad which had 4 passenger trains daily.

 

Thank to Mr. H. T. Jarvis for providing the picture.

The finished lumber was very soft and easily worked and very light in both color and weight. It was the nearest approach of any southern wood to white pine hence the name “Nearwhite” became the company trademark.

 

The name of the town was changed to Electric Mills because of the uniqueness of this new lumber manufacturing process. The slabs, sawdust, planning mill chips and other waste had to be disposed of, so the production engineers decided to fire a boiler with them to produce steam to power the electrical generators.

 

The electric generating plant ran continuously, the electricity was free to the employees, so no one ever bothered to turn off a light. One news correspondent wrote that EM was the brightest city south of Saint Louis.

The specialty products of the mill were boards, ship lap, casing, base and flooring.

 

 

About 90 percent of these were cut in 16 foot lengths.